Inland Fisheries & Wildlife

Residents and non-residents may obtain hunting and fishing licenses from the Town Office or any Agent for the State of Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife Department. For more information and pricing visit the IF&W website
Please be prepared to show photo ID and proof of residency.



Proof of residency is currently, and will continue to be, required for ALL transactions (licensing, registration, AND renewals).  There are the 4 approved “Proofs of Residency” for IF&W licenses/registrations.  You must produce ONE of the following documents and meet ALL 4 criteria:

  • Valid Maine Driver’s License or Maine State ID 
  • Active Maine voter registration.
  • Valid State Maine BMV vehicle registration.
  • Current and compliant Maine Income tax payment.

Non-resident licenses/registrations are available for non-residents.


NEW/USED BILL OF SALE for any recreational vehicle (ATV, snowmobile, boat, jet ski, etc.) must include the following information:

  • Vehicle Serial Number/ VIN (year, make and model must be known, but not necessarily on the bill of sale).
  • Seller name and address.
  • Buyer name and address.

PLEASE BE AWARE: Bills of sale lacking any of the above information will not be accepted and therefore those vehicles cannot be registered.



It is required that you either bring in the expired registration, OR have a written note with serial &/or registration number, OR that you can verbally recite the registration number &/or serial number associated with the vehicle you wish to make current.  We are no longer to search for vehicles to re-register using owner name or MOSES ID.


We understand that there may be some confusion and/or inconvenience involved with this process.  We appreciate your understanding and your support of compliance with these laws, which are in place to protect the rights of all sports people in the State of Maine.

Hunting Licenses

Who Needs a License?

In general, anyone who hunts wild birds or animals in Maine needs a hunting license. The type of license you need depends upon your age, resident status, and other factors, and there are some exceptions. In addition to a license, most hunting activities also require a permit. See individual species pages for details.

Junior and Adult Hunters: Hunters under age 16 must possess a junior license, and those 16 and up need an adult license. Note: a junior license holder who turns 16 may hunt with that junior license for the remainder of the calendar year.

What Are the Requirements for Obtaining a License?

To obtain a hunting license in Maine, you generally need to show that you have either (1) held that license in a prior year, or (2) taken a hunter safety course. License-specific requirements and exceptions follow.

Outdoor Safety Courses

Maine law requires all firearms, archery, crossbow, or trapping license applicants to complete an outdoor safety course, unless they have previously held an adult license. These 6 to 12-hour courses (depending on the subject) are sponsored by school districts, sports clubs, civic groups, and others, and are taught statewide by volunteer instructors certified by MDIFW.

Courses are scheduled based on instructor availability, with pre-registration typically required. To view course listings, see Safety/Edcuation Courses. For information on becoming a volunteer instructor, contact your local Regional Safety Coordinator or the Recreational Safety Division Office. Recreational Safety Division (207) 287-5220.

Firearms Licenses: When applying for an adult firearms hunting license in Maine, you must show proof of residency, and that you have either possessed an adult license to hunt with firearms in any prior year beginning with 1976, or successfully completed an approved hunter safety course in any U.S. state. Convicted felons cannot purchase or possess a firearms hunting license in Maine unless they have been issued a permit to carry a firearm.

Archery Licenses: To obtain an adult archery hunting license, you must show proof of having held an adult license to hunt with bow and arrow in any year after 1979, or successful completion of an archery education course.

Exceptions to Safety Course Requirements:

Native American Exception: Native Americans are exempt from the safety course requirement for archery, crossbow, and trapping.

Military Exception: An active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces who is permanently stationed outside of the U.S. and home on leave is exempt from hunter, archery, and crossbow safety course requirements if they can show proof at time of license application that their home state of record is Maine. 

How Are Licenses Obtained?

From MDIFW: Residents and nonresidents may obtain hunting licenses from the MDIFW office in Augusta, either in person, online at, or (for non-residents) by mail.

From Agents: Licenses can also be purchased from agents throughout the state (sporting good stores, many convenience stores, town clerks, and turnpike service centers). Agents who process applications online for moose and antlerless deer permits may charge a fee of $2.00. Note: Not all town clerks issue nonresident licenses.

All trapping licenses are issued by the MDIFW office in Augusta and cannot be purchased online.

It is unlawful to obtain a license or permit through misstatement or misrepresentation, or to possess a license or permit that has been altered or tampered with in any way.


Resident means a citizen of the United States or an alien who has been domiciled in the State for one year who:

  • if registered to vote, is registered in this State;
  • if licensed to drive a motor vehicle, has made application for or possesses a motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State;
  • if owning a motor vehicle located within the State, has registered each such vehicle in the State;
  • is in compliance with the state income tax laws;
  • is a full-time student at a Maine college or university who satisfies above requirements.

Nonresident means a citizen of the United States who does not fall within the definition of Alien or Resident.

Alien means a person who is not a citizen of the United States.


Fishing Licenses


Who needs a fishing license?

A person 16 years old or older is required to obtain a valid fishing license prior to fishing in inland waters or transporting fish taken from inland waters. A person is required to keep his/her fishing license with him/her at all times while fishing or transporting fish and must exhibit their license for inspection by any warden, department employee, guide or landowner upon request.

Possession of fishing tackle in the fields or forest or on the waters or ice of this State without a fishing license is prima facie evidence of fishing in violation of the law.

When obtaining a resident license, it is the responsibility of the applicant to submit proof of residency.

No resident or nonresident, 16 years of age or older, may fish in inland waters or transport fish taken from inland waters without first obtaining a valid Maine fishing license. Maine Residents may obtain fishing licenses from any resident license agent. Nonresidents may obtain fishing licenses in person or by mail from the IF&W Department Office in Augusta or from any of the numerous nonresident license agents throughout the State. Residents and nonresidents are also able to purchase licenses on our website: Unless otherwise specifically provided, all fishing licenses expire on December 31 of the calendar year for which they were issued.

Maine residents (and immediate family members who live with that person ) may fish without a license from their own land if that person owns more than 10 acres of land, lives on that particular piece of land, and the land is used exclusively for agricultural purposes.


ATV's, Snowmobiles & Boats


  • Re-Registration – Previous registration if helpful but it can be done without 
  • New Registration – Dealer Sale – Sales receipt for proof of sales tax paid and VIN or Serial Numbers, ME assigned number on any used recreation vehicles
  • New Registration – Private Sale – Bill of sale, ME assigned numbers and serial numbers, horsepower & length for boats
  • New Registration – Transfer – Same as above PLUS registration of the vehicle the registration is being transferred from


All ATV's and Snowmobile registrations Expire June 30th 

All Watercraft registrations Expire December 31st 

You can now RE-REGISTER your ATV’s, BOATS, SNOWMOBILES and TRAILERS online!  This is for RENEWALS ONLY!

Go to  – click on Register a Vehicle and you will see your choices for ATV, BOAT, SNOWMOBILE or TRAILER.