Frequently Asked Questions


 What methods of payment do you accept?

The Town Office accepts cash, check or credit/debit cards. 
Please note, when using a credit or debit card, a $1.00 surcharge for transactions under $40.00 or 2.5% surcharge for transactions over $40.00, will be assessed.

 When are Property Taxes due?

The Town's tax year runs July 1 - June 30.  Property taxes are billed once per year and are due in two payments on November 15th & May 15th.  Interest begins accruing on the unpaid balance on November 16 and May 16. Residents may choose to pay the full amount at the time of the November payment or anytime before the May 15th deadline; we welcome partial payments anytime on all accounts. Please include your tax payment stub or account number with your payment to assure the proper credit to your account. Tax bills must be paid in full by June 30th to avoid having unpaid taxes published in the Annual Town Report.  
Payments may be made in person at the Town Office, online, or by mail addressed to the attention of the Tax Collector.


Please visit the Town Manager's page for additional information on property taxes & tax collection.

 How do I Register to Vote?

New residents and new voters can register to vote any time in the Town Office, as well as on election day at the poll.  Identification and proof of residency are required at the time of registration.
Absentee ballots may be requested in person or by phone by calling the Town Office.
For additional information, please visit the Town Clerk's page.

 Do you have a notary public on staff?

Yes, notary services are available at the Town Office.  There is no charge for the service.

 What do I need to do to register my vehicle?

Please visit the Town Clerk's page for information on registering or re-registering a vehicle.  Online registration via Rapid Renewal is also available.  Excise tax may be calculated here.

 Can I register my ATV, BOAT & SNOWMOBILE?

Proof of residency is required for all Inland Fisheries transactions.  For more information, please visit the Town Clerk's page. 


RE-REGISTER your ATV’s, BOATS, SNOWMOBILES and TRAILERS online!  Previous registration information is required.   

  How do I get a Hunting or Fishing License?

Hunting & fishing licenses are available for purchase at the Town Office and Online.
Proof of a previous hunting (or archery) license or a Hunter Safety Card are required.  Identification and proof of residency are required as well.
Lifetime Licenses must be purchased directly through Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
New residents must be a resident for at least 3 months and vehicle registration and drivers license must be issued by the State of Maine.  

 Do I need to license my dog?

Dogs must be licensed in the municipality in which they reside at 6 months of age or within 10 days of ownership.  
For more information, please visit the Animal Control page.

 How do I get a Burn Permit?

To request a Burn Permit you may call Chief Greg Andrews at 273-1781.

Free Online Burn Permits (must be able to print and have in your possession)

  • Select "New Permit"
  • Select your town.
  • Complete permit application and submit.

 How do I get a Marriage License or copies of vital records?

To file marriage intentions:  Please click here for instructions.  Note, an appointment is required.


To obtain a copy of a marriage certificate, birth certificate or death certificate:  Please stop by the Town Office with identification to request a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate.  To obtain a copy by mail, please contact the Data, Research and Vital Statistics (DRVS) office.

 How do I pay my ambulance bill?

For ambulance billing related inquiries contact TG Higgins at:

Phone: 207.223.5733

Fax: 207.223.5743


Mailing address: PO Box 409, Winterport, ME  04496

The Town Office does not accept ambulance payments.

 How do I get in touch with the Selectmen?

The Board of Selectmen meets every other week (Wednesday) at 7:00 pm in the Town Office Meeting Room.  Please refer to the Calendar for dates.

 How do I apply for or renew a concealed weapons permit?

Please come to the Town Office and fill out an application.  It may take up to 2 months to complete the process. 

 How do I get in touch with the Warren Sanitary District and/or Maine Water?

Warren Sanitary District
PO Box 447
Warren, ME 04864
207-273-2047 or 207-596-6401
Maine Water

 What do I need to get a building permit, open a commercial business or build a new home?

Starting a business almost always requires Planning Board approval and some permits.  Building most structures also requires one or more permits.  
When planning for any of the projects mentioned above, it is a good idea to obtain a  Building Permit Application and possibly review the ordinances applicable to the project.  All of our permit applications and ordinances are available at the Town office or you can download them directly from our website.  For additional information, please call 207-273-2421 to speak with the Code Enforcement Officer.

 Do I need to check with DOT for my driveway?

Yes, if your property will access a State Road, such as Route 90, Route 97, Route 1, Route 131 or a State Aid Road, such as Main Street or Wottons Mill Road.

 I want to put my RV down by the water. What do I do?

Most of the water bodies, streams and rivers in Warren are regulated by the Shoreland Use Ordinance.  Individual campsites in Warren Shoreland Zoning do require permits.  Download or stop by and fill out an application and drop it off at the Town Office.